Friday, September 5, 2008

Week 3 Readings

Linux
They lost me when they started talking about kernels, a repeating code, and a simple and elegant code—can anyone better explain these? They are in the 5th-7th paragraphs of 1.1.1.
What’s POSIX? How did they move code from Windows and other devices (what kind of other devices, are we talking like Tetris and shizzle?) to Linux? Was that even legal? WTF, this explanation is not well written.
1.2.2 speaks of how Linux is becoming more user friendly by offering graphic interfaces identical to the ones offered by Mac and Windows. This sounds to me like the bordering-on-pirating spin offs and spoofs of movies that you hear about occurring in black markets in Asia—or that you see more funnily riffed in movies like Jack Black’s magnum opus Be Kind Rewind .
The last few lines of 1.4 assert that because there are more hands in on Linux that it will become a perfect OS. I say that too many cooks spoil the broth.

What Is Mac OS X?
“In many cases I have made no attempt to provide background details of the concepts referred to in the discussion.” It’s lines like these that preserve and widen the digital divide between those who are able to program and use OSes at acrobatic levels and those of us stuck at “I push the blinking button and it goes on.” It’s lines like those that make me want to rededicate myself to being a better bridge as a professional librarian when teaching both information literacy and written communication skills.
Why would you want to hack your OS? What is the motivation behind doing so? Are there non-malicious hackers? If there are, what have they done for me lately? WWBAD (What Would Boten Anna Do)?

Mac OS X
This article deserves a revision of both of my reactions to the former readings. Unlike my concern with the Linux article, here, having so many users (cooks) authoring one article (broth) has definitely improved the clarity of the Mac OS X writing. It’s much friendly to non-computer-expert types like me, who are indeed kept brain-alive by such tidbits as the X in Mac OS X being pronounced as 10, and the naming of each version after a wildcat. BTW, I'm totally nominating Fluffy here for the next Mac OS X. Look at him! He's a ferocious wee beastie!

Windows Roadmap
So nice of Windows to provide a downgrade option—buy the full price new version, still get the cruddy old stuff. Sheesh. I guess this works for somebody, but it just doesn’t align right in my Podunk little head. When presented the old for the price of the new, all I can think is "where's the beef?"
I can hardly believe that the comments section is as long as the full text email reproduction. That was a long-behind email!
I’m glad we won’t be re-experiencing compatibility issues when Windows 7 comes out (BTDubs, Windows, buddy, pal, son, you’re in need of a cool-naming shot, please talk to ur BFFs at Mac, thx). The compatibility issues between Office 2007 and the older stuff is a pain even a year out.

4 comments:

Micquel said...

I am just glad to see that I wasn't the only one thinking...what (eyes crossed at this point)? More people being able to "improve" Linux... sounds a little iffy to me, probably because after reading the whole article, I still didn't understand why I've never heard of Linux before...

I also like your comment on hackers... why would you want to hack your "new" system??? Anyone else out there have some techi answer for us???

Jenny Z. said...

The last few lines of 1.4 assert that because there are more hands in on Linux that it will become a perfect OS. I say that too many cooks spoil the broth.

I don't think the Linux article was claiming that Linux would become a "perfect OS" just on its increase in popularity alone. I think the reason it's important to Linux users that more people in industry are involved in developing Linux, is that now it cannot be permanently blindsided by Windows or Apple, i.e. it is now a real contender to those systems in terms of use. It has taken a good amount of time to reach this point though.

Linux, like all OS's, will never be perfect, and as a Linux user I will say far from it. But the biggest plus about using Linux, is this: it is a fully functional operating system, that does 99.9% the same things that you can do with a Windows or Mac. Except it's free.

For that reason alone, it's worth learning how to use it!

Unknown said...

I just have to say that I appreciate the personality, pictures, and humor you bring to your blog. There is an enormous amount of reading as we all know too well and I got more than a few chuckles reading through your blog! Thanks! BTW, I'm also in the SLCP.

Jacqui Taylor said...

I'm glad to bring some charm *yeah right* or laughter *getting warmer* or tears *of suffering induced by clashing colors, bad jokes, and belly-button-gazing-references* to our class work. Hurrah for SLCP! It would be such an honor as a school librarian if the a parent volunteer decided to head into librarianship themselves after working with me in the school library. Your kids' SLMS must be positively chuffed! PS- I love the name of your blog! I'm super jealous. Well christened indeed, madam.