Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Week 12 Readings

Sorry for being away for so long, y'all! All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy and all that.

Using a wiki to manage a library instruction program
Does anybody else suspect that the ALA was reading this sort of wiki-propoganda before they aparently drank the Kool Aid and went all wiki on us? Ugh. I don't think much of this author, to tell you the truth. I read the summary first (c'mon like y'all don't! it's like reading the abstract), and got all uber-sarcastic up in this joint like "Oh, we need everybody's expertise? Really? Stunning. Give us another gem, genius!"


Creating the academic library folksonomy
At some point, I just have to shrug my shoulders and say "this has as little to do with my work as a children's librarian as sock puppets do to a chemistry librarian." This article brings about that reaction. Working with kids, I can't conceiveof why I would have them make a folksonomy of the library's holdings. Perhaps I could get them involved in the choosing of bookmarks for the library's homepage, but kids and their language and their fads change so quickly that there would be an incredibly high turnover rate in tagging. Sorry, but this gets a pass from me.

Jimmy Wales: How a ragtag band created Wikipedia
He's a pretty darn good talker. I was really surprised at how volunter-based Wikipedia was--I expected them to be closer to the PBS model--as well as how few users are editors (he says that there's a close-knit community of only 600-1000 editors, and only about 18% of edits are anonymous). Anybody else think his opinion on truth and neutrailty was uber post modern?

Weblogs: their use and application in science and technology libraries
I really like the idea of incorporating blog-teaching into the role of librarians. Hurrah information literacy! Since I've taken to bridle with SCALA's blog (and, coming on its heels, this blog where I can freestyle shizzle), I feel totally comfortable with the idea of incorporating blogs into my professional life (whether with students or with other library workers).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree that social tagging (especially in your work as a children's librarian) seems like more work than it might be worth. Blogging I can get behind, and I was amazed at how well Wikipedia seems to run itself based on its corps of volunteer staffers. I couldn't believe they only have one full-time staff person! Nuts, I tell you.

Susan Herrick-Gleason said...

First of all, cool blog! I needed a little entertainment after hours of working at the computer...

As for how the academic library folksonomy article relates to your work as a children's librarian, I agree that it's a bit of a stretch; in fact, it may be just more clutter for the academic librarians' minds, too. But, well, children do like to read the same things their friends are reading, so perhaps social tagging would not be so strange in a children's library. And perhaps children could even find things more easily if other children, rather than adults (whose vocabularies are very different, after all), were choosing the search terms. Why not think about the possibilities?